Your web content strategy is the spearhead of your online visibility and reputation. Using SEO optimization techniques on the pages of your site will allow you to combine the design of informative content for the user but also in accordance with the criteria of SEO of search engines such as Google.
To help you with your writing mission, we have listed 10 basics, but no less essential, tips for learning good SEO web writing practices. From SEO tags to internal networking techniques and different types of content, find out how to write SEO Friendly text in 2019.
1. Should it be specified? Never duplicate content!
If you think plagiarizing a few pages of a site on yours is harmless, we are sorry to announce that you are mistaken. The duplicate content (duplicate content) is taken into account by Google’s indexing criteria in the sense that it is highly punished!
If you do not want to risk the sandbox and see your site land on the 30th page of Google search results (where no one is going), we advise you to write your content yourself. An original content, produced in accordance with the principles of your editorial line and following the tone of your brand will always be the best option to power your site.
2. Title and meta description: speak to the user as soon as they search
In SEO writing, certain tags of the HTML code are to be pampered. The Meta title tag and the Meta description tag require special attention because they will be the first impression of your site that the user will have when he comes across it in Google search results.
These tags, once completed, are visible in this way in the SERP:
- The title of the page, <title> </ title>: It must be concise, unique and contain keywords in keeping with the subject of the page. Its size is on average 70 characters according to Google display.
- The description of the page, <meta name = “description” content = “/>: It makes it possible to distribute an attractive description of the page for Internet users. Google regularly varies the optimal number of characters for this tag. At We Love SEO 2018, Gary Illyes (webmaster trends analyst at Google) indicated that the Meta description can be as long as needed. It just needs to be representative of the content of the targeted page.
3. An introduction worked to keep the reader in suspense
Reading content on the web is much more tiring for the internet user, who is also excessively requested by the various information flows. The advent of mobile also accentuates these difficulties by offering a smaller screen and a less waterline. Therefore, the reader scans the text and focuses mainly on the first paragraph.
To adapt, it is therefore necessary to treat its introduction and deliver the important message of the page first, while encouraging the reader to go through the rest of the text for more details. Since engine robots behave similarly, the keywords to be worked on must be integrated as high as possible in the text.
4. Optimized content is structured content
The content of your web page should not be content with a block of unreadable and soulless text. Structuring your text will make reading easier for the Internet user but will also guide the robots in their understanding of your text.
- Optimize Hn tags by incorporating key expressions.
- Opt for an eye-catching H1 (titles in the form of a question are on the rise).
- Use an evocative introduction of around 100 words.
- Create relevant H2 and H3 subtitles that explore the details of the theme.
- Write informative paragraphs.
The content must be ventilated to facilitate the user’s scanned reading. The creation of lists (<li> </ li>) and the bold setting (<b> </ b>) of certain keywords will allow us to go in this direction and to shape a more SEO Friendly text .
5. Write a lot, but write just: content for Internet users and search engines
No need to write tons if there is no message to transmit. The SEO strategy of your content must be designed to appeal to search engines, but first, the content must be written to answer the questions of Internet users. Adopt a consumer-centric vision and create content that aims to be read!
A study carried out by the agency Capsicum Mediaworks recently showed that the web pages proposed in the top 10 of Google result justified, on average, a density of 2000 to 2500 words. Not all subjects and all page typologies lend themselves to such important content, all the more when you know that the Internet user generally reads only the first paragraph.
Start by creating pages of 300 to 500 words. It’s enough to exploit all the SEO optimization techniques, to give enough text to the search engines and to get your message across to your target.
6. Bye Bye the keyword stuffing, hello semantic universe
Citing the same keyword dozens of times to hope to position itself on it in user searches is no longer relevant. This practice called Keyword Stuffing is now sanctioned by the Google Penguin algorithm.
It is now customary to determine 1 or 2 relevant keywords on which to base its content. If it is important to place them intelligently in the text, it is also imperative to develop the whole semantic field around these keywords to enrich the vocabulary and work on co-occurrences.
Google has worked on its understanding of synonyms and using the concept of lexical field , it knows that certain sentences or certain words tend to predict others.
For example : travel, stay, vacation
Favor the use of these synonyms and variants which make the writing of your content more natural and give stronger semantic weight to your page.
7. The internal network: semantic cocoon and basic rules
It is essential to integrate internal links into your content in order to guide Google robots and Internet users in exploring your site more deeply. An internal linking technique is very popular today: that of the semantic cocoon. It is based on the optimization of the internal mesh and editorial content to weave links between the pages in the form of waterproof silos.
However, an internal link must respect a few simple rules:
- Place link anchors on keywords in line with the target content of the link. A link to our agency page can thus be placed on a link anchor such as ” SEO agency “. The link on “Learn more” is to be forgotten in SEO.
- Place links on long-tail keywords but not on whole sentences.
- Do not abuse the links and adapt their number according to the length of the text.
- Do not repeat the same link several times in the same text.
8. Think vocal SEO, think conversational content
In 2019, responding to users also means responding to voice search assistants. User searches are no longer limited to two words in the Google search bar of a computer, but can also be formulated as a complete and clearly stated question on a smartphone. Current web content must answer these questions, take a conversational angle, and enter into a voice SEO approach.
4 basic principles must be followed in order to create content compatible with the reading of voice assistants.
- A text of affordable length: neither too long nor too short, the sentences must be concise but precise. The assistant can find the answer to the user’s search in a single sentence and not an entire paragraph.
- A structured text: the robots will look for their answers in the titles. Think of the keywords and structure your titles and subtitles to make them easier.
- A simple and coherent formulation: Go straight to the point and use understandable sentence turns. No convoluted vocabulary!
- Easier speech: Watch out for typos, spelling, or syntax errors. Reading should be easy and the assistant should not hesitate on difficult or poorly written terms.
9. Cold content or hot content? Regular content!
If each of these types of content is particularly important for the good health of your site and the development of your SEO, regularly creating new content whatever it remains the most important principle. Show Google that your site is alive and relevant, always bringing more material to value.
THE COLD CONTENT
It allows you to explore themes with unlimited lifespans, to produce rich content and generate large volumes of traffic over time.
It is a way to play on trends and seize a strong traffic opportunity by producing content with a short lifespan but high potential for temporary research. To integrate preferably in a blog or a space of news.
10. What about the other content?
And yes, the content is not only pure and hard text. Vary the pleasures and work on several types of content to feed your web pages:
– Video: Should represent 80% of internet traffic in 2019, video is referable and becomes the new challenge of SEO. It is possible to optimize videos for SEO through subtitles, descriptions, titles, or content around for example.
– Infographics: Very popular in B2B, infographics are 3 times more likely to be liked and shared compared to any other type of content. They will promote the virality of your content and will be a good basis for writing an article.
– Photos: Images are everywhere and refer to! Be sure to fill in your alt tags to help your SEO. Attention, the images should not be too heavy, the loading speed of your site is also an essential criterion for your reference.
– Posts on social networks: social networks represent no less than 3 billion users. They will be very useful for relaying the content of your site. Vector of interactions and lever of virality, social networks act indirectly for your SEO.
A web editor for quality content
If the application of a few SEO tips is within everyone’s reach, the taste for writing but also the ability to produce numerous texts, coherent and understandable, following a precise editorial line, is not something innate for everyone.
Using a web editor specialized in natural referencing will allow you to delegate the creation of your text content while benefiting from SEO and Content Marketing expertise which is highly beneficial for the growth of your site.